Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Day 11 & 12.....Butter and Horses

I spent Saturday out of town, just a bit north in Savannah, GA.  It was a very long, but very good day.  There were lots of laughs, fantastic finds and tired feet.  And also there were horses and butter.  An odd combination I know.  We took the opportunity to go on a horse drawn carriage ride through downtown Savannah and learn a bit more about the town and it's history and to re-view some of it's hidden gems (which this old town has PLENTY of!).  Savannah's history is tied pretty closely to my little island's history, too, so it's always fun to learn more about things that overlap! 

I'm Thankful for this delicious meal....
I can't think of anything better at the moment, than Southern fried cookin', y'all...fried chicken, corn pudding, cheese biscuits, rice and gravy, beans, sweet potatoes, lemonade, and for dessert... 
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake.  I'm pretty sure there was at least a pound of butter in this meal and I enjoyed EVERY bite of it!!!

...at none other than this fabulous restaurant!







 And for this four legged creature...
The lovely Batman
















who carried us around to see this..
Yes, Georgia is the only state that mines pink marble...who knew?













     
 And this...
 Those curves above the windows are called 'eyebrows'.  On this house they are made of iron.  All of this iron work cost over $100,000 back in the 1800's. AND this house was the first to have running water. I suppose when you put that much into the outside of your house, the least you can do is also be the first one in your neighborhood that can flush the toilet and take a shower!

And this...



This church has the tallest steeple in town. And the bells were hung upside down for almost a century...but they were ringing today!


And this...
Beautiful

   










Ah, the beauty of history and some mighty good cookin'.  
That's what I'm thankful for... (and leftovers for the next day too!)

1 comment:

  1. I was catching up on the posts I've missed over the last few weeks when I realized that your Little Bear & I share a birthday! So in honor of that, I've made a donation of $21.00 (I like that number!) to your Chip-In, in hopes that it will help you to bring her home that much sooner. I know it's not a lot, and I wish I could do more, but I am glad to be able to help at least a little!

    Happy belated birthday, Little Bear! Here's hoping every birthday from here on out is spent with family!

    P.S. I went to Savannah in high school, and it is such a lovely, historic town!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Subscribe

recent posts

Multimedia Updates

About

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book
Learn More →

Pages - Menu

Featured Posts